Monday, June 13, 2011

Revisiting the Teatro Colon

After I saw the Magic Flute at the Teatro Colon, I returned another day and took a tour. Now I'm armed with more information..

In the picture below, look at what appears to be a series of black metal screens: these are the boxes that used to be reserved for widows, since it was considered socially inappropriate for them to appear in public during their mourning period...


This is a picture looking straight up at the ceiling. When the theater was constructed, they built a "heaven" here; that is a sort of catwalk where singers can stand above the audience and sing so that their voices come from on high like angels or heavenly hosts. In this picture, the 'heaven' is the gold rim immediate surrounding the central light. I remember hearing this heavenly effect in the performance I attended, immediately followed by the sound of heavy tramping footsteps in the ceiling over my head! Either these angels were pretty clumsy or sound travels in unintended ways!


It's just so lovely...

No comments:

Post a Comment