Sunday, May 22, 2011

An elegant weekend

Well it has been quite the elegant weekend! Friday night I went to the opera ("La Flauta Magica") at the Teatro Colon. This theater was built at the turn of the century & was the cultural center of all of South America for a hundred years. What surprised me the most was how HUGE it is! As you can see from the pictures, there are 7 levels of seating and I think it must seat about 2000 people. What could the population of Buenos Aires possibly have been in 1900? It seems like a huge venue relative to the city size.

On my way to the Colon, I passed by the theater where they are performing that old standard, The Rebellious Noviciate (!). I'll bet you're familar with this one. Now I'm super-curious: do they do the songs in English or translate into Spanish (seems very difficult)...





No comments:

Post a Comment