Sunday, May 1, 2011

Feliz Dia del Trabajo!

Hola todos - and happy May Day! In Argentina, this is an important time for celebrating workers, the common man, and labor unions. Actually - perhaps because May 1 fell on a Sunday this year - the big celebration took place yesterday, with a rally downtown that drew 400,000 people! Even my neighborhood, from from the center of town, was crazy last night, with parties, cars honking and revving in the street, and what sounded like someone doing construction at 1 in the morning! I assume this was connected with May Day, but perhaps it was just an especially exhuberant Saturday night. Today was sleepy and quiet in that 'morning after' way, and stores were closed up as though it were Christmas or New Year's. Tomorrow is Monday and I will be back to work. Speaking for the office workers, I'd like to suggest that they change the timing of the Day of the Worker to a weekday!

Junto al Gabinete, Moyano pidió la reelección de la Presidenta

2 comments:

  1. I'm honored to be your first commenter. Now I'm following your awesome blog as well as the trail blog from a certain Frenchy we both know and love... I enjoy your observations and your pics are fantastic. Please keep sharing your impressions - they are very much appreciated and anticipated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Betsy, this is so great! I loved your description of May Day in Argentina and the photo is super. This is such a good way for us to know what your life is like there!
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete