Sunday, May 22, 2011

In the Grocery

Finally I encounter a culture with a bigger sweet tooth than my own! The Argentines love deserts in general, but they are particularly crazy about a caramel sauce called Dulce de Leche. I can't over-emphasize how omnipresent this flavor is. There is D de L flavored ice cream as well as yoghurt; chocolate bars are filled with it; and every pastry, pie, cookie and cake you can imagine is infused with it. In my average-sized neighborhood grocery, there is an entire aisle devoted to D de L sauce (see second picture). My friend tells me that when Argentinians overseas get homesick, D de L is one of the first things they miss - the flavor is that strongly associated with "home."

On an unrelated note, the last picture is of a well-known brand of rice called "Diana Arroz" - do you get it? This really cracks me up...




No comments:

Post a Comment